Sunday 11 December 2016

The Luib Hotel: my kind of place!


I don't know if you noticed, but I was not around very much last week.

Don't worry, nothing is amiss, in fact I was having the most splendiferous time.

I admit that at first I was a bit concerned when Gail told me we were going down to Stirlingshire to meet up with Aunty Yam for a couple of days.

No don't be silly, I was of course thrilled to hear we would be seeing Aunty Yam again. It was just that, well, one has low expectations of the weather in Scotland in mid-December.

I only hope the accommodation is up to snuff, I thought.

Well I am delighted to report that the Luib Hotel, near Killin, is simply the most brilliantly dog friendly establishment I have yet encountered in my extensive travels.

Gosh, where to begin?

It's promising isn't it, when the resident pup - a Patterdale terrier called Tilly -  is, shall we say, 'nicely rounded'.

It suggests the presence of a human who is generous with the treats. And so it proved.

And I found Jim the proprietor remarkably easy to train. If the treat supply failed, I only had to bark once or twice and he came running back bearing another handful of yummy biscuits. In fact, by the second day I wasn't even having to bark.
That's Jim and Mary, leaning by the bar
Jim's wife Mary was equally generous with the shoulder massages.

I was given the run of the lovely big bar and restaurant area. It was always a tough choice whether to settle beside the crackling log fire or over by Jim (and his treat supply) at the bar.

The bed was super-comfortable too, with plenty of room for Gail as well as myself.

Of course having Aunty Yam there made it even more special. She has the warmest of smiles, don't you think? And she bought me a brand new toy, something Gail scarcely ever does.

We did get out and about a bit but one has to say, the weather lived down to expectations...
Loch Tay, near Killin
General Wade's bridge, Aberfeldy (built in 1733)
The Watermill, Aberfeldy

And as you can see below, my paw problem flared up again, so I was not able properly to appreciate the interesting history associated with this ancient dwelling on Loch Tay.

 
All the more excuse to linger indoors enjoying the Luib Hotel's outstanding hospitality.

For some reason, now we are back in Aberdeen, I have been put on a diet (as well as medication to calm my sore and itchy paw).

PS You will want to click here to read what Aunty Yam has to say about the trip!

22 comments:

  1. What a lovely place ! The hotel is adorable, and it's beautiful. Purrs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    OMD Bertie lad, you are so right, the place just suited us all pawfectly!!! Needless to say I have stretched my tale of the trip out over a few posts, but I have to say, Gail managed some rather brighter pictures than the Fudge did... something to be said for smartfones - and furry models!!! So glad to have had your company and I do so hope that paw is getting better by the day. Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, we are glad you were to such a wonderful place where the hoomans were easy to train! We so wish we could have gone with you! And we know YaYa can do a good pet too!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bertie and Gail I'm so happy I can hardly sit still what a wonderful meet and greet. Mom says she will never no never forget the YaYa's smile and open arms ready to give them hugs when they first met her at the BAR.
    Oh my word wonder if Mary would give mom a shoulder rub? What a lovely inn and we did so enjoy every word of this post. So excited for you two and YaYa!!
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a pawsome place to visit! Hope your paw feels better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crikey Bertie ..... sorry you had to stay in the car that one time, mate, but it looks as if the rest of the meet up with Aunty went well. That hotel you stayed in sure looks comfy and what nice hosts. Can you guess which picture is Mum's favourite. Yep .... thats right ..... the one at Lock Tay, near Killin ..... hmmmmmmph .. I wonder why!! Mum so wants to go to Scotland again but hopefully she'll just settle for all of yours and aunty's pictures. Unless I can come too, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, what a fantastic trip. It looks like you had a wonderful time. I am so jealous. Give your mom a big lick from us for taking you on such a special trip

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a most wonderful establishment Bertie!! Treats and shoulders rubs and the lovely Aunty showering you with a gift, sounds like the perfect holiday!
    Smileys!
    Dory, Jakey, Arty & Bilbo

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a fab adventure... I love the watermill... wish it would be my house :o) I first thought the heavy chain are sausages LOL... well wishful thinking ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh, Bertie what a fantabulous holiday and wonderful place to stay ! All those treats AND shoulder massages - oh wow !!
    We're going to ask our tall man human (TMH) to put that in his special dog friendly places to stay on his computer thingie. It's a bit of a trek from here in Spain, but well, it would be a nice drive for us all to see where our TMH family comes from. We might even get our passports stamped when we get to England ! Only problem is that you all drive on the wrong side of the road over there !
    Sorry to hear the poorly paws are playing up, hope they are better now.
    Love
    Petite-Chose and Inca xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, I am visiting from Yam's blog. I had to see the hotel review. I am so glad it is dog friendly. Love the tour and photos. Bertie is beautiful. Happy Monday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a lovely inn. Lady really wants to go to your Bonnie land.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Bertie - that hotel sounds just wonderful! Glad you had such a good treat-filled time and hope your paw gets better very soon. Take care - nose licks and love from Moth xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMD, a wonderful hotel holiday AND visiting Yam Aunty?! How could you ask for more?

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sounds like the perfect hotel! Do you think the treat man would be nice to teddy bears as well?

    Mara and Brom from Norway

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really lovely you fit in so well there

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a fantastic place to stay! We think you may be a bit rounded now, too! We think that place deserves a return visit!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We think you should publish a travel guide book fur dogs.
    Your Furend
    Louis Dog Armstrong

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wowser, you have been a busy boy. thank you for providing the link to your Aunty Yam, very pleased to meet her. Take care of your Paw...don't forget that you may have to chase the man in the red suit if he doesn't bring you the right presents on his first try.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You mean you got to spend time with Aunty Yam AND you found a wonderful dog friendly hotel! My goodness it is like you won the lottery!

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMD OMD we were so excited to see pics of YOU with our Beloved Aunty YAM... it brought back all the WARM memories of our time with her. She is SO Kind and Gentle.
    Bertie you OBVIOUSLY had yourself a MERRY LITTLE VISIT there... We are SOOOOO happy fur YOU and YAM Aunty and Miss Gail. THANKS fur Sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete