Sunday 26 June 2016

PAWLYMPICS: 'Munro Bagging' Explained



Is everyone else as excited as me about the forthcoming Blogville Pawlympics? Oh I am so grateful to Arty, Lexi and Christmas for organising this wonderful sporting festival. 

Those of you who have already seen the Pawlympics Schedule might have noticed that I am down to host an event on August 16th, and some, I know, are wondering what 'Munro Bagging' involves and how you can enter. 

All is explained below:  

Munro Bagging (aka Scottish Mountain Climbing)

This event is one for the adventurous pups (or those who aspire to be).


Background information: In Scotland, a hill over 3000 ft high is called a 'Munro'. There are 283 Munros. If you climb one you are said to have 'bagged a Munro'. 

To take part in the event, each contestant needs to do just two things:

(1) Choose a Munro the dog (or cat, or other pet) would like to climb, from the official list:  http://www.climbthemunros.co.uk/munro_list.htm*

(2) Send an email to bouncing(dot)bertie(at)outlook(dot)com stating your name, your blog's name, and your chosen Munro (only one Munro per pet allowed), along with a photo of the dog/cat/other. 

You can create your own picture of yourself at the summit of your chosen Munro, or you can trust to Gail's somewhat rudimentary PiZap photo editing skills and she will attempt to place you on your selected mountain in an appropriately heroic stance. You may wish to consider appropriate attire for mountain adventures in Scotland and dress accordingly in the photo you submit. 

All the pictures, with fitting captions, will be posted on my blog on the day of the event. In this contest every entrant will be a winner, but a gold medallist will be chosen according to an obscure and wholly undemocratic a totally fair set of rules which I shall make up on the day devised according to principles wholly in line with the ethos of the Blogville Pawlympic movement (which I can assure you involves a lot less corruption and doping than the human's equivalent event….)

THE DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES IS SUNDAY 31 JULY

*Hints on choosing a Munro: you are free to use whatever strategy you prefer.  You may select one at random from the list or research the issue yourself in depth. Perhaps you will go for a mountain that you might be named after (I am thinking of a particular Scottie in Australia), although dogs called Ben will be spoilt for choice. It is important to note that the precise height of your chosen Munro will not impact your success in the contest. Any explanations of your selection criteria will be noted and read with interest and may be used the caption accompanying the photo. 

19 comments:

  1. Oh my, what a lot of rules, but it sounds like fun! We don't have a head for heights, so can we keep our eyes closed? Oh, and can we plant an EU flag on the summit?
    Petite-Chose (a bit too long in the tooth for all this malarky) and Inca - (raring to go, when she can find her crampons and boots)
    P.S. We have our passports !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not really so complicated. Just name a Scottish mountain, email me a photo of the dog(s) and Gail can do the rest!

      Delete
    2. Thank you Bertie, we'll see what we can find.

      Delete
  2. Hari om
    My word, this will be one of the top (ahem) events of the paelympics methinks!!! Hugs and wags YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh Bertie thank you for this most informative post. OMCS I think I am changing my name to Madi Munro....I love that word. It rolls of my tongue quite melodiously.
    For sure this Senior female feline will take this challenge and climb with it....golly I might even decide to jump all the way to bag a Munro.
    Hugs Madi your bffff

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for explaining it Bertie, we weren't sure what it was or if we could enter! We will be working on our entries soon and get back to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great outdoors adventure, especially since Ma (and we) have some climbing skills, but zero photo editing skills! James Bone and Eowyn, southeastern USA

    ReplyDelete
  6. BOW WOW, thanks for the explanation! I wasn't sure what it was, but now I'll have to try it!

    Your friend,
    Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMD...this sounds like fun and we can't wait to bag our first munro!!
    Smileys!
    Dory, Jakey, Arty & Bilbo

    PeeEss..Mama says you are all linked up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hiking up a mountain in cool/cold air?? I'm SO in!!

    -Otto

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how interesting! We'll check out that list fur sure!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  10. BERTIE.... ROXY would NEVER FURGIVE us if we didn't chews Ben MacDUI... We will get some Climbing gear together and get some pics to you... IF we don't FAINT from the Altitude or Shear Terror

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wheeeeee....I think we are up for some mountain climbing!
    ♥♥
    Wyatt and Tegan

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will look for a munro climbing photo... but I think it leads to pizap... the highest mountain in my area is probably our compost heap :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. We LOVE climbing! Ojo is better at it than me, but don't tell her I told you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My assistant is a bit afraid of heights, but perhaps I might enter anyway. Don't have much experience with climbing as we live in the very flat part of the United States - not even a small hill or bump anywhere around us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We just read up on all the Munros and chose one that sounded very scenic and not so high! Picture is on it's way!

    Wyatt and Tegan

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm totally looking forward to bagging my Munro! Thanks for Bertie for organizing this pawsome event!

    ReplyDelete